On behalf of everyone at Media Breakaway, LLC, affiliate.com, The Parking Place and Data Overdrive, we would like to wish everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day! Check out some fun trivia about the holiday below.
- In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”
- In 1537, England’s King Henry VII officially declared February 14th the holiday of St. Valentine’s Day.
- About 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are exchanged in US each year. That’s the largest seasonal card-sending occasion of the year, next to Christmas.
- 189 million stems of roses are sold in the U.S. on Valentine’s Day. Worldwide, over 50 million roses are given each year.
- Teachers receive the most valentines, followed by kids, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
- About 3% of pet owners will give Valentine’s Day gifts to their pets.
- Richard Cadbury produced the first box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day in the late 1800′s.
- Hallmark produced its first valentine in 1913.
- The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine’s Day.